So you’ve heard the term “keto” tossed around in relation to eating, but aren’t quite sure what it means or what it can mean for you. Let us help!
What is the keto diet?
What are the intended results?
The idea is that by ingesting lots of (healthy) fats, the body will burn a lot of fat leading to weight loss and, with no sugar crash, increased energy. By eschewing processed foods, the diet can also help people make healthier food choices.
What are some quality, high fat foods to include in my paleo diet?
Fish, beef, pork, poultry, eggs, nuts (including non-peanut nut butters), seeds, olive oil, hard cheeses, avocado, vegetables, bone broth, coconut and coconut by-products (oil, flour, cream, etc).
What foods should I avoid?
Processed foods and drinks, artificial sweeteners, soy, vegetable oils, beans and legumes (including peanut butter), most fruits and grains.
What should I look for while shopping?
For easy meals think of meat, egg and veggie combinations. Go for quality over quantity (for full effects and better flavour) and buy grass-fed meats, free-range eggs and (when possible) organic and locally-grown vegetables. For some ideas for keto-friendly snacks, check out our new paleo and keto product blog.
Keto Chicken Enchilada Bowl
- 2 chicken breasts
- ¾ cup prepared red enchilada sauce
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chilies
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chicken bone broth
- 1 (12-ounce) bag cauliflower rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preferred toppings, such as chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, guacamole, shredded cheese, keto salsa, etc.
- Place a saute pan over medium heat. In the dry, hot pan, sear all sides of the chicken breasts until lightly browned.
- Add the enchilada sauce, chilies, onions, and chicken broth to the saute pan with the chicken. When the mixture begins to simmer, lower the heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Cook until the chicken is tender, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove just the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Shred the chicken using two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the sauce in the saute pan, and turn the heat to medium. Allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes or until any liquid has disappeared. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cauliflower rice per the bag’s instructions and dice your preferred toppings.
- Place the cauliflower rice in the bottom of a container. Layer with the chicken mixture. Top with toppings of your choice. Seal with a lid and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keto Lunches: Grab-and-Go, Make-Ahead Recipes for High-Power, Low-Carb Meals by Stephanie Pedersen. Midday from Mind Body GreenRecipe courtesy of
Keto Herb Muffins
- 1 ½ cup almond flour, sifted
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Seperate the egg whites from the yolks. Add lemon juice to the whites while beating. Beat until soft peaks form.
- In another bowl, combine the egg yolks, butter, sifted almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add 1/3 of the beaten egg whites to the almond flour mixture and combine.
- Add remaining 2/3 of the egg whites and fold in, until fully incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Add chopped rosemary and remaining herbs.
- Pour mixture into muffin tray and bake for 20 minutes. Check with toothpick to ensure the muffins are cooked through.Makes 6 muffins.
Serve these with eggs and bacon for a satisfying keto breakfast. Recipe courtesy of Keto Nation in St. Albert.